Tuesday, May 10, 2011

IF: beginner


   Hey guys, I'm back! I have been wanting to do an Illustration Friday post for some time now (by the way, IF stands for Illustration Friday). I hope that I will get some more followers from this post, but if not, thats Ok. Now for the actual picture, It is when I was 6 I think. I will expand the process tomorrow hopefully. Here is the process:





    I took a scan on the actual picture, and printed it out. I then put a one inch grid on it and marked each line with a number or letter.


 After I did this, I made a separate grid on my watercolor paper of the proportions that I liked, making sure to keep the squares the same length on all sides. I drew what I saw as the most defying features on the face continuing to work around each block individually, working from the top left hand corner to the bottom right hand corner.
   Then looking at the picture as a whole, I made few touch ups.
   Next, I painted the entire face a light tan wash, except for the highlights in the eyes.

 Next I painted the very top and botom of the eyes blue, also adding another tan wash to the skin.

I continued adding washes and such until I had the face and neck completed.




 I then painted the shirt, and then the backdrop.



Finished!


Time: 4 hours
Subject: Adam B.
Medium: Watercolor, Pencil

Please tell me what you think!


1 comment:

  1. Adam, this is really good! I loved watching the whole process. How did you know what steps to take? I always think mixing colors is the hardest part--do you have a technique that makes it easier? I completely recognized this picture the minute I saw it--so cute! Keep posting! I love watching you progress :) Did you submit this one for Illustration Friday? Was self-portrait the theme?

    ReplyDelete